International Exchange Experience
The MEng in Railway Engineering program provides the opportunity to develop a more cosmopolitan view of the role of rail transport and how it is practiced worldwide through an international exchange requirement. You can choose to complete either an 8-week or 16-week exchange experience at our partner institution, KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden, one of the leading railway programs in Europe.
The partnership between Illinois and KTH delivers a shared curriculum that uniquely addresses all engineering aspects of the rail vehicle-track system in an integrated, holistic manner consistent with state-of-the-art, 21st Century viewpoints of the discipline. You will benefit not only by learning from subject matter experts at each campus, but also through exposure to a variety of complementary international perspectives on rail transportation engineering topics, policies, and institutional aspects.
Illinois Railway Engineering Student Exchange Process
Students will work through the College of Engineering’s International Programs in Engineering (iPENG) Office to arrange their student exchange experience with KTH. The iPENG Office will assist students with all of the paperwork required to complete their student exchange experience with KTH. Students need to work with the Railway Engineering academic advisor to learn about the lead time to complete all necessary paperwork. Students have the flexibility to complete either an 8-week or a 16-week student exchange experience at KTH. Below outlines the costs and registration process.
- Students register for classes at Illinois prior to leaving for their experience at KTH and pay Illinois tuition for the semester.
- Students pay the $2600 iPENG fee for this student exchange experience.
- Students register at KTH for the equivalent Illinois courses. Students will be provided a tuition waiver by KTH for their KTH registration.
- Students are responsible for their own housing, transportation, and food while studying at KTH.
- There is no transfer of courses since students are registered at Illinois.
Questions? Please contact: Meg Griffin, PE (email@example.com)